Whether going up on the mountains or in the woods, a tent is one of the essential camping gears you always carry along. An ideal camping tent can make all the difference in your outdoor expedition. You obviously don’t want a lousy experience seeing a frustrated dad, tent poles snapping due to wind, sleeping on a wet floor, and cramped quarters. Well, you don’t have to worry about it a bit as we are here to help you pick the best dome tents.
When you’ll go to the market to buy a dome tent, you’ll find countless options. But, we have spent hours researching and analyzing various tents to narrow down the list to the very best only. So let’ take a look at our top picks.
- Product Reviews- Top Picks For Best Dome Tents
- 1. REI Co-op Half Dome 2 Plus- Best 2 Person Dome Tent
- 2. REI Co-op Kingdom 4- Best 4 Person Dome Tent
- 3. CORE 6 Person Dome Tent- Best 6 Person Dome Tent
- 4. Outbound 8-Person Dome Tent- Best 8 Person Dome Tent
- 5. Pacific Pass Camping Family Dome Tent- Best Family Dome Tent
- 6. Coleman Sundome 4 Tent- Best Budget Dome Tent
- 7. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL Backpacking tent – Best Backpacking Dome Tent
- 8. Cabela’s Alaskan Guide Geodesic Tent- Best Winter Dome Tent
- Buyer’s Guide To Choose The Best Dome Tent
Product Reviews- Top Picks For Best Dome Tents
The “plus” of this REI Co-op half Dome 2 Plus tent signifies extra space for tall folks and also for those who like to have a bit more space. So, if you want your 2 person tent to have some extra space, you can go for this one. The tent also offers some pretty good features; let’s take a look at them:
- The pole architecture of this half-dome boosts the livable space.
- The REI Exclusive tension-truss architecture results in the creation of stable vertical sidewalls. This offers additional head and shoulder room.
- The color-coded hubbed poles simplify the setup process.
- Getting in and out of the tent is convenient too, thanks to the 2 large doors with 2 vestibules.
- For better ventilation and panoramic view, there are mesh panels on the upper portion of the tent.
- There are ripstop panels on the lower portion too for preventing much exposure to dust and dirt.
- Your camping gear doesn’t need to be spilling out in the whole tent. This tent offers six overhead pockets along with four side pockets for storing your gear.
- For rain and weather protection, the manufacturers add a full-coverage fly to this tent. For a better view and increasing ventilation, you also have the option to roll the ends and sides of the fly too.
All in all, this tent is a great pick for 2 people camping at front-country and backcountry campgrounds.
- Additional head and shoulder space.
- Sufficient pockets for storage.
- Easy to setup.
- Mesh panels for ample ventilation.
- Two large doors and two vestibules.
- Rainfly for weather protection that can be adjusted.
- The zippers of the vestibule door are not that smooth.
- The tent is a bit heavy.
If you are looking for a tent for 4, then the REI Co-op Kingdom 4 is one of the best dome tents available in the market. This is a spacious tent with plenty of storage space and is exceptionally weather-protected too. The tent comes with a lot of amazing features which makes this tent a luxurious one:
- Dome tents are usually not that easy to setup. But, that is not the case with this one. The tent comes with strategic colour coding on tent, poles, fly, as well as the footprint for easy setup.
- The stability is also top-notch using the hubbed pole assemblies and durable pole clips as well as sleeves.
- The tent’s vertical walls along with a rectangular floor plan maximize the living space inside the tent.
- The weather protection is also up to mark with tightly sealed seals and a cut-in floor. The seam-sealed waterproof 75-denier coated polyester taffeta fly provides additional protection. You can even roll the sides of the fly to adjust the visibility and ventilation.
- There are two doors for convenience. The doors are huge with 4 zipper sliders. One door has got a vestibule and the other one comes with a weather-protection awning.
- For improved ventilation, there is bugproof mesh panelling.
- For better storage, the tent has several mesh pockets that can accommodate most of your camping gear.
- A center curtain divides the large floor space into two rooms.
This freestanding tent can withstand bad weather conditions efficiently. Although it comes at a steep cost, but it is worth it with a lot of essential feature and durability.
- Protective large fly.
- Proper ventilation.
- Room divider.
- Ample storage space.
- Easy to setup.
Read also the round up review article on the best canvas tents available in the market.
When it comes to exploring outdoors with your loved ones, nothing can serve you better than the Core 6 Person Dome tent. The tent has got features to make your outdoor expedition easy and comfortable.
- The most attractive feature of this tent is the H2O block technology. The technology provides you with full-proof protection against water. It includes the use of water repellent fabrics paired with active bead technology which enables faster water runoff. Additionally, it also includes sealed seams along with a fully taped rainfly. The rain-resistant door as well as window seals provide extra protection.
- During warm weather, you have the option to remove rainfly and allow airflow through panoramic mesh windows and ceiling.
- For offering a comfortable stay in all seasons, the tent comes with an advanced venting system. The system consists of an adjustable air intake vent that draws the cool air inside the tent. Working along with it is the mesh ceiling which allows the hot air to escape out from the tent.
- Keeping your privacy in mind, the manufacturers add zippered privacy panels on doors as well as windows.
- For organizing your gear, there is a gear loft and small pockets on the interior walls. It also comes with a lantern hook.
- For more convenience, there is an E-port to power all your electrical devices.
The tent is a spacious one and has the capacity to accommodate two queen-sized air mattresses. This means you can have an enjoyable trip with your whole group living under one roof.
- H2O block technology.
- Advanced venting system.
- Proper interior organization.
- Comes with electrical port access.
- Can fit in 6 people.
- The plastic hooks on the tent seem a little weak.
- Zippers are not durable enough.
If your main priority is maximum space at a reasonable price, then this Outbound 8 Person dome tent is for you. In addition to space, the tent flaunts various great features to make your camping trip more comforting.
- The tent keeps the water from entering inside, thanks to the Poly Taffeta 185T 68D 600mm water-resistant coating.
- For additional protection against water, seams are properly welded making them leak-proof. The polyester bathtub floor also keeps the water out.
- This is a big spacious tent that is easy to set up using its Fiberglass “Easy Up” Technology.
- For excellent ventilation, there is a D-shaped door paired with built-in zip windows.
- You have the option to create 2 rooms using the detachable room divider for additional privacy.
- For efficient weather protection, the rainfly has a front canopy that comes with a 600 mm coating.
The tent is a durable one and is lightweight due to the use of fiberglass. It can easily accommodate 8 people.
- Easy to setup.
- Keeps water out using the water-resistant coating, welded leak-proof seams, and polyester bathtub floor.
- Rainfly provides weather protection.
- Light in weight.
- Comes with a detachable divider.
- The poles cannot bear high tension as complained by some customers.
Are you looking for a tent in which you can enjoy yourself with your whole family? Well, this Pacific Pass tent is one of the best options available for you. Let’s look at its features.
- For roomy user experience, the tent can fit in 8 people and comes with a center height of 72 inches.
- If you want privacy, then you can divide the tent into 3 separate rooms using 2 removable dividers.
- For keeping your belonging organized, the tent has got six mesh storage bags.
- For more convenience, there is a hook on the top for hanging a lantern. An E-port is also there keeping in mind the needs of 21st-century campers.
- It is a 1500mm waterproof tent that keeps you and your gear dry using its waterproof fabric and rainfly.
- The oversized D-shaped door and 3 zippered windows take care of the ventilation.
- There is an extended door awning too that keeps your shoes dry.
The tent is a nice option for your family camping trip and comes with a carry bag for easy storage.
- Can be divided into 3 separate rooms using the removable dividers.
- Protects against rain.
- Easy to setup.
- Comes with an E-port.
- Sufficient storage space.
- Quality PE flooring.
- Few customers complained about some leaks from the pocket seams during rain.
Read also the round up review article on the best survival tents available in the market.
Dome tents reign as supreme when it comes to camping. The reason is they are easy to pitch, are spacious, offers all the necessary features, and are affordable too. And Coleman Sundome 4 tent offers all of these features which make the Sundome series popular in the market.
- The tent comes with a durable 75 denier polyester taffeta flysheet. The rainfly is pretty good at providing weather protection.
- To prevent any water from seeping in, the manufacturers waterproof the tent with welded corners and inverted seams.
- The frame of the tent is durable too and has the capability to withstand 35+ mph winds.
- Ventilation is taken care of by incorporating large windows and a ground vent inside the tent.
- By keeping in mind the needs of 21st-century campers, the company also includes an E-port to the tent.
The thing that I liked the most about this tent is that it offers all these features at an affordable price. Offering a good floor space at a budget-friendly price is simply astonishing.
- Offers good floor space.
- Proper ventilation through large windows and ground vent.
- Weather protection through rainfly.
- Comes with an E-port.
- There is only one door present.
- The storage pockets are less in number and are small too.
- It is not fully waterproof.
The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL tent is known for its supreme balance between weight and size. This makes the tent an ideal contender for the best backpacking dome tent. Not just a good balance of weight and size, the tent offers a rich set of features too.
- This is an ultra-lightweight tent that boasts a high volume pole construction resulting in steeper walls and a spacious living area.
- The tent is a nice example of modern architecture. It features 2 large dual-zipper doors having discrete seams allowing convenient entry and exit.
- The dual vestibules offer a dry gear storage space of around 18 sq. ft.
- Water protection is also top-notch. All the seams in the tent are properly taped using solvent-free polyurethane tape. The fly, as well as the floor, is also water protective with a 1200mm waterproof rating.
- The lightweight of the tent doesn’t mean that compromise has been made with the strength of the tent. The 4-way high-volume hub design enhances the strength of the tent by 25%. It also increases the useable interior volume by 20%.
- The proprietary random ripstop pattern nylon material provides maximum durability to the tent. The DAC Featherlite NFL and NSL pole system add to the strength too.
- The oversized mesh pockets provide sufficient space to store gear.
If you want a lightweight tent for your backpacking trip that offers great strength and durability too, then Copper Spur is a clear winner.
- Exceptional balance between weight and space.
- Vestibule doors can be converted to awnings.
- Sufficient storage space.
- High cost.
- Should include some more stakes for tensioning the fly.
The Cabela’s Alaskan Guide model modified Geodesic tent is a clear winner when it comes to extreme natural conditions. Field-tested in Alaska, this tent has got a state-of-art design and fully loaded with useful features that assist in surviving extreme cold conditions.
- The tent is a stable one that withstands strong winds using its unique six-pole system.
- The fabric is also up-to-mark as the tent boasts 100% ripstop nylon. This makes the tent last longer and increases durability too.
- There is the use of oxford nylon on the floor which is also abrasion-resistant.
- The tent has got almost everything that can make you feel comfortable in winters. There is a full-coverage 100% polyester fly which is UV-resistant. The fly has even got a 2,000mm rated polyurethane coating. The coating sheds away the wind-swept snow as well as the pelting rain.
- To prevent moisture from getting inside the tent, the floor also has a 3,000mm rated coating.
- I liked the vestibule addition to the tent. It enables you to store your camping gear and even protects you from any type of outside elements.
- The D-style door allows for convenient entry and exit. It also works well to prevent much exposure to rain.
- The windows are also D-shaped and there are also 3 roof vents. All these enable proper and sufficient ventilation inside the tent.
- To protect you from even the smallest pests, the manufacturers have installed no-see-um mesh screening to door and vents.
- For quick and hassle-free setup, there is the use of heavy-duty shock-corded poles.
- For saving floor space from unnecessary gear lying around, the manufacturers offer three mesh organizer panels as well as a gear loft on the walls.
- There are 4 cup holders on the interior of the tent too for keeping drinks from spilling.
All these fabulous features and ultimate durability astonished us and that’s why we recommend this tent for extreme weather conditions.
- Durable nylon 100% ripstop fabric.
- Comes with a full-coverage fly.
- Polyurethane coating on the fly as well as on the floor for additional protection.
- D-shaped doors and windows.
- Vents for adequate ventilation.
- No-see-um mesh screening to prevent outside elements from entering inside.
- Organizer panel and gear loft for storage.
- Comes with 4 in-built cup holders.
- Aluminum poles would be much better and durable than fiberglass poles.
Read also the round up review article on the best tent for boy scouts.
Buyer’s Guide To Choose The Best Dome Tent
Choosing a tent is not an easy task. There are a number of factors that you should consider before taking a final buying decision. Your needs and preferences also play an important role. So, to help you out in the selection process, we have come up with some important factors that you should keep in mind while looking for the best dome tent.
Spaciousness (Floor Area, Peak Height, And Pole Structure)
The overall livability of a tent depends upon its floor area. That’s why it is essential to check the total area that a tent can provide. It is not necessary that tents with similar sleeping capacity offer the same area. The design of the tent, its peak height, as well as pole structure also has an effect on the overall spaciousness of the tent. The peak height will decide whether you are able to stand upright in the tent or not. On the other hand, the pole structure has a great impact on the slope of the walls. For instance, if you go for a usual dome tent with an X-shaped pole design, then you will enjoy the peak height only at the center and not on the sides. But, some pole structures create vertical walls in a dome tent that allow you to walk conveniently without bumping your head on the ceiling. Hence, the first and foremost thing that you should check on the packaging is the floor area along with peak height and pole system.
Number Of Doors
If you are going for a large capacity tent, then we recommend you to pick a two doors tent. The additional entrance will allow maximum airflow during summers when living with your whole family. Additionally, it will keep you from stumbling or crawling over your companions in the middle of the night when nature calls.
Interior And Exterior Storage Space
For many campers, storage space is a crucial consideration. No one wants their tents space to be eaten up by their gear. Hence, proper gear organizers are important inside and outside the tent. Hence, while choosing your ideal tent, check the number of storage pockets and lofts present inside the tent for keeping your belongings. As far as exterior storage goes, when you pick a tent with a full-coverage rainfly, it creates an additional space at the door side, which we refer to as a vestibule. We can use the vestibule to keep the gear safe from rain and to keep your shoes.
Weather resistance is one of the most vital factors that we should always consider. Who would want to spend their night soaked in water? Or who would want their tent to be blown away by heavy winds? Obviously, no-one. So, while choosing a tent, you should check the pole material to withstand the harsh rowdy weather. Aluminum is much stronger than fiberglass poles. In addition to this, tightly sealed seams, waterproof fabric, and a full-coverage rainfly are some other crucial things that you should look for maximum weather resistance.
For campers who like to head out during the warm summer months, ventilation is a key consideration. Hence, for such campers, it will be wise to go for a tent with plenty of windows and mesh screenings. Ground vents can also prove to be helpful for more airflow. Even some tent constructions offer double-wall design (in this the inner tent body and rainfly are separate creating a gap between the walls for ventilation purpose).
Setting Up And Disassembling
A dome-shaped tent has large dimensions and a number of parts, like the body, poles, stakes, rainfly, etc. Hence, it should not be a surprise that setting up a tent can be a difficult task. That’s why we recommend you first figure out the setup process at home so that you will not face any issues later on. A better option is to go for instant set up tents. These come with a pre-assembled structure which you just have to unfold and that’s it, your tent will be assembled in minutes. However, such a design can add a little more weight, but such a tradeoff in convenience is worth it.
To find the best dome tents we have put in a lot of efforts and did in-depth research. To pick the best for you, we studied various aspects. The spaciousness, necessary features, built material, quality of construction, weight, ventilation, and weather protection of each tent was thoroughly analyzed. We even come up with a buyer’s guide to help you choose the most ideal tent. Hopefully, all the information discussed in this article will assist you in picking a tent as per your preference and needs.
All the tents discussed in this article have great features and have their own special quality. But, according to us, the REI Co-op Kingdom 4 Tent has almost all the necessary features that a good dome tent must possess. It is a spacious tent that can easily accommodate a small group of 4. The rectangular flooring along with vertical walls offers maximum livable space. For weather protection, the tent has sealed seams and also comes with a waterproof rainfly. The two huge doors and mesh panelling takes care of the ventilation. One door even has a vestibule and the other one comes with an awning. There is a room divider too for privacy. This is a nice freestanding tent that is easy to set up using the color-coded system. All these features make this durable tent the best dome tent that can make your family camping experience more comforting and memorable.