Hiking can be an amazing experience for children as well as adolescents. But, in comparison to adult backpacks, there are not many backpack options available in the market which are suitable for kids. If you think that kids hiking backpacks are the same as adult ones, then you are wrong. The backpacks for kids differ in size from adult backpacks. They are much smaller in size, have got more adjustable harnesses, and tapered hip belts. Additionally, they can even be extended with the growth of the child so you don’t need to buy a new backpack every year. Such backpacks offer a great fitting to young hiking enthusiasts.
So, to help you find an ideal fitting backpack for your child, we have come up with a list of the best hiking backpacks for kids. We have also added a buyer’s guide to this article so that you can make an informed choice. So let’s get started.
- Top Picks For The Best Hiking Backpacks For Kids
- Factors To Consider While Choosing The Best Hiking Backpacks For Kids
Top Picks For The Best Hiking Backpacks For Kids
If you want to introduce your children to some hiking adventure, then Deuter Kids Fox 40 Hiking Backpack can help you do so. It is a nice backpack for young growing explorers who are excited to carry their own gear on a backpacking trip.
- The backpack features an adaptable, child-sized, carry system that makes it suitable for children with a torso length of 10 to 18 inches.
- You don’t need to buy a new backpack as your child grows. The backpack comes with a ladder style VariQuick Shoulder harness. Through this, you can adjust the harness incrementally as your child grows.
- Special importance is given to comfort. The designing of the backpack is such to distribute the load evenly using the back pads.
- There is 3D AirMesh too which allows pleasant ventilation.
- To provide additional convenience in carrying the backpack, there are pull-forward hip fins and load adjustment straps. Other than this, there is also an adjustable sternum belt for equal weight distribution.
- Deuter includes everything that you’ll need in your backpack. It has got specialized compartments to keep your valuables, as well as wet gear and other apparels. It is also 3 liter hydration system compatible.
- For high durability, the manufacturers make use of 600D PES and 210D PA Ripstop fabric for its construction. The fabric makes the backpack water as well as abrasion-resistant.
- VariQuick System allows back length adjustment.
- Back pads for even weight distribution.
- Enhanced convenience through padded, stowable hip fins.
- Volume of 40 liters.
- Separate compartments for keeping gear.
- Hydration system compatibility.
- The top lid is fixed.
- A bit heavy.
Osprey Ace 50 backpack is a high-performance backpack for long scouting or hiking adventures. It offers a great volume of 50 liters and still manages to keep the weight light. The backpack has got some pretty nice features:
- It comes with a tensioned backpanel which allows you to adjust the backpack to fit various torso lengths. It has got 5 inches of torso length adjustability.
- Additionally, it also features an extendable fit-on-the-fly hipbelt which you can adjust up to 3 inches.
- Backpacks usually put most of the burden on your shoulders which can sometimes cause you discomfort. Well, this backpack comes with a LightWire frame which is efficient enough to evenly distributes your shoulder load to the hip belt. This results in less pressure on your shoulder delivering a stable and comfortable carry.
- To access the essential items quickly, there is a single compartment top pocket. Along with it, there is an underlid zippered mesh pocket offering a nice internal storage option.
- There is also an internal hydration sleeve that has the capacity to accommodate up to 3 liter reservoir.
- For better organization of your gear, there is an additional external storage option in the form of an adjustable stretchable mesh front panel.
- You can find various convenient storage pockets in this backpack. It has enough space to carry all your essential stuff. For carrying an ice tool or fishing rod, it has sep got a separate carry pocket. To carry your sleeping bag, there is a lower zippered separate compartment with a removable divider.
- To enjoy full weather protection, you can make use of the integrated removable raincover.
- Comes with an adjustable harness.
- Internal hydration sleeve with a capacity of up to 3 liters.
- Adjustable AirSpeed suspension.
- Integrated Raincover.
- Fit-on-the-Fly hipbelt.
- Sufficient storage space.
- Might be big for small kids.
Gregory Mountain Products Wanter 50 Liter Backpack is a popular one amongst scouts as well as hikers. This is because it offers sufficient space along with amazing functionality for long trips.
- The manufacturers construct this backpack using sturdy high-quality polyester. This makes it durable as well as abrasion-resistant.
- Despite the great volume and the use of rugged material, the backpack is lightweight.
- For load stability and adjustability, the backpack features VersaFit suspension. To provide a perfect fit for growing hikers, you can adjust the suspension by up to 4 inches.
- To provide comfort and a cool back, there is a 3D Foam backpanel for superior airflow.
- For enhanced comfort, the shoulder strap, along with the fully adjustable hip belt, are properly padded too.
- It offers U-Zip access which makes it convenient to load and unload stuff.
- In addition to the main compartment, there are several additional pockets too. It includes a zippered stash pocket at the front, a zippered lid pocket, two zippered pockets on the hipbelt, and two side pockets to carry water bottles.
- There are adjustable attachment loops too for carrying trekking poles and ice axes.
- The backpack also includes a raincover for weather protection.
- Adjustable suspension.
- Breathable backpanel.
- U-Zip easy access.
- Several storage pockets.
- Adjustable hipbelt.
- Includes a raincover.
- Lacks hydration bladder.
If you are looking for a light multipurpose backpack with a great hydration system, then CamelBak Kid’s Scout Hydration Pack is for you. The backpack is small in size and can be easily taken anywhere.
- The most attractive feature of this backpack is the hydration sleeve which sits behind the backpanel. The Crux reservoir has a capacity of around 1.5 liters and is one of the best available in the market. It is BPA free and can keep the water cool for a long duration.
- The company claims that the reservoir delivers 20% more water per sit. Additionally, it comes with an ergonomic handle which makes it convenient to refill it.
- There is a handy hose too along with an on/off lever to prevent leakage.
- There are two roomy compartments in the bag to store all the necessary gear. To keep small items, it features an extra front compartment.
- For keeping your back cool, there is a breathable mesh on the backpanel. The padding on the backpanel is sufficiently thick so that your young one doesn’t feel the bladder on the back.
- The backpack has a sternum strap that makes sure the shoulder straps remain in place.
- You will find daisy chain webbing at the front of the pack. You can use it to attach and carry bulky items.
- The backpack is a compact one with a height of 15 inches making this backpack good for children from 6 to 14 years.
- Includes a hydration bladder.
- Thick comfortable backpanel padding.
- Breathable mesh on the backpanel.
- There is no option to adjust the harness. However, the shoulders straps are adjustable.
If you are looking for a quick, small, and budget-friendly backpack option, then this Bseash backpack will serve you well. It is not amongst the premium bags, but it works fine. The bag is suitable for children with a height of less than 4 feet.
- Even though the bag is low-priced, the material is pretty good. The manufacturers make this backpack using high strength nylon. The material comes with a waterproof coating and is tear as well as abrasion-resistant.
- The bag has a capacity of 10 liters which is good enough for little ones. Its small size makes it lightweight too providing convenience to carry it around.
- The backpack is comfortable to wear as its entire backpanel has thick padding and is properly ventilated.
- It is a versatile pack having two zippered compartments and multiple small pockets to keep your gear. You will find a dedicated pocket for your tablet, pen pockets, a zippered mesh pocket, a lidded media pocket, and also a key fob hook. At the front panel, there is a bungee cord too.
- Waterproof coating.
- Tear and abrasion-resistant.
- Backpanel is properly padded and ventilated.
- Multiple compartments as well as pocket makes it a versatile pack.
- Too small in size; even difficult to fit an A4 size notebook.
- Does not have an adjustable harness.
- Not the most durable option.
Factors To Consider While Choosing The Best Hiking Backpacks For Kids
When your kid loves going on outdoor trips with you, you will obviously want to boost his/her morale even more. One of the best ways of encouraging your hiking loving kid is gifting him/her a good hiking backpack. But, while choosing the best hiking backpack for your little one, there are some factors that you should keep in mind.
Size And Volume
Remember, you should always buy a backpack according to your needs. We usually try to buy a backpack with too much volume as we want to put in as many things in the pack as possible. Overpacking is tempting, but you’ll end up making your backpack unnecessarily heavy. So, it is wise to pack the bag relatively full, not unnecessarily heavy, so the bag remains stable while you carry it.
Hence, we recommend you choose the volume of the backpack as per its use. Go for a backpack with a volume of less than 25 liters, if you are planning only a day’s trip. For a two or three days long trip, a backpack of up to 40 liters of volume will be ideal. The requirement of the volume also depends on the size of the equipment or gear you carry. We recommend you avoid equipping your child’s or adolescent’s backpack too much as it will become too heavy to carry around. It is wise to purchase a small-sized perfect fit backpack for your young growing hiker.
Hiking is one such activity that is strenuous in nature. Hence, it is good to carry a backpack that is as light as possible. Especially, when it comes to kids, the backpack should be ultra-lightweight because they do not have the strength equivalent to that of an adult. Light equipment will aid them in climbing quickly, conveniently, and comfortably.
The adjustability of the backpack as per the growth of the child is a key factor. An adjustable harness or torso length adjustment allows the backpack to grow as the child grows. Children grow very fast, so it’s not feasible to buy a new pack for them every year. An adjustable harness offers the ability to fit the pack according to the torso length to accommodate the child’s growth.
These days, the modern hiking backpacks come with sophisticated back panels for providing great comfort. Back panels offer a high level of breathability so that your back doesn’t feel too hot while hiking. Manufacturers make the addition of air channels to the back panel or create it with durable mesh fabric for maximum airflow. They even add good cushioning to the back panel for utmost comfort. So, always take a good look at the back panel of each of your options and choose the right one.
Hydration System Compatibility
Another popular feature in hiking backpacks these days is the hydration system. In this, the pack comes equipped with a special compartment to carry the water reservoir. Along with it, backpacks feature a gap for a water tube using which you can take a sip. The special compartment for the water reservoir helps you carry water in large quantity and keeps it cool and fresh too. The hydration system saves you from the trouble of taking your water bottle out every time you feel thirsty.
A hiking backpack should always have enough pockets for easy storage and organization of your essential gear. In addition to main compartments, there should be small sleeves or mesh pockets inside and outside the backpack for carrying your small and needed items. It even provides better accessibility options.
Padded Shoulder Straps
Most of the weight of our backpack is on our shoulders. Hence, the shoulder straps should always be thickly padded. Kids should carry only 10% to 20% of their total weight for ease in hiking. The thickly padded shoulder straps will make it more comfortable to carry the weight of the pack when out on the trail.
On a single day trip, a hip belt may not be of much use, but on a long trip, it provides great assistance. A nicely padded hip belt will allow you to distribute the backpack’s weight evenly and not exert much pressure on your shoulders. Backpacks with high volume should always contain hip belts for conveniently carrying heavy equipment.
Sometimes the shoulder straps slide off from our shoulders while hiking. It is a problem that most of us have encountered. Such sliding of straps can be discomforting and frustrating. So, to ensure that your little hiker does not face such an issue, buy a backpack with a sternum strap. This strap buckle keeps the shoulder straps in place and prevents them from sliding off.
Daisy chains are sewn on the front area of the backpack. It allows your young hiker to hook hats, or key chains, or coat, or anything else that he/she want to clip outside.
So, by now, we have understood that choosing the best hiking backpack for kids is not that of an easy task. Mainly the choice depends on the age of your kid, his/her size, and on the purpose. Buying the biggest one is not always a solution. Pick the one which fits your child, and have some adjustment features too. Additional necessary features that we discussed in our buyer’s guide should also be kept in mind.
Out of all the options that we have discussed, each one is eminent in its specific way. But, in our view, the backpack that posses all the necessary features and passes our quality test is the Deuter Kids Fox 40 Hiking Backpack. We give this backpack the title of best hiking backpack for kids because it is a durable high-performance backpack offering almost all the features that will aid your little hiker in his/her hiking expedition. It is equipped with VariQuick System for adjusting torso length, a Contact backsystem for proper weight distribution, and 3D Airmesh lining for enhanced breathability. Not only this, the backpack’s shoulder straps, hipbelt, as well as backpanel is thickly padded for utmost comfort. The pack has several pockets for proper gear organization and hydration system compatibility too. It has a volume of 40 liters which is big enough for a long trip. All in all, the backpack is an ideal choice for a young hiking enthusiast.