When you are on a long backpacking trip increasing your endurance, your electronic devices are the first ones to get exhausted.
In this 21st century, electronic devices can prove to be a lifesaver during an emergency or critical situations. An efficient power bank can keep your electronics running for days making it a piece of essential equipment on your backpacking, hiking, or camping trip.
But, there are a lot of cheap power banks available out there. Such power banks can make you more frustrated than helping you in charging your electronics. So, to avoid choosing such power banks, we have picked up some of the best power banks for backpacking for you.
- Top Picks For The Best Power Banks For Backpacking
- Buyer’s Guide- Choosing The Best Power Bank For Backpacking
Top Picks For The Best Power Banks For Backpacking
1. Anker PowerCore+ Power Bank
If you are looking for a compact power bank that can offer you massive battery capacity, then Anker PowerCore+ can serve you well. It has got pretty nice features that can make the stay of outdoor enthusiasts more convenient.
- The small looking power bank features a mammoth battery of 26800 mAh. This means, using it, you can charge your devices several times.
- The power bank comes with 2 USB 15W ports capable enough to charge your phones, tablets, and other devices. Additionally, there is a 45W USB-C port too that can even charge your laptop fully at a high speed.
- Multiple ports mean you can charge a number (Max. 3) of devices simultaneously.
- The power bank features fast charge technology. It enables you to charge your device at twice the charging speed of any other usual charger.
- The power bank comes with a 60W USB-C wall charger. Using it, you can recharge your PowerCore in less than 3.5 hours.
- The company even provides 18 months warranty with the device.
- Massive battery capacity of 26800 mAh.
- Small and portable.
- Comes with 2 USB ports.
- Battery indicator lights.
- Fast charging capability.
- Includes a 60W USB-C wall charger.
- Can be recharged in less than 3.5 hours.
- Offer 18 months warranty.
- Only offers USB ports.
- A bit heavy.
2. RAVPower 32000 mAh Power Bank
Another great portable power charging solution is the RAVPower power bank. It can serve you as a great hiking companion which is expertly engineered to make charging easy for you. It can virtually charge any device which has got USB port compatibility for charging.
- The most attractive feature of this power bank is its huge 32000 mAh battery. This gives you the phenomenal freedom to charge multiple devices.
- You have the option to charge three devices at a time using this power bank’s trio charging. It has got 3 USB iSmart 2.0 output ports. Each port can deliver maximum power of 2.4A ensuring powerful charging capability.
- It is even compatible to charge the latest iPhone 12/ 12 mini/12 Pro Max. But, remember it is not compatible with Qualcomm Quick charge. It lacks the fast charging capability.
- When it comes to recharging, it takes around 12 hours to fully recharge this power bank using a 2.4A charger. But, you can recharge it more quickly using a fast charger.
- Special importance is also given to safety. The device comes with a built-in polymer battery. This battery has got a stable structure that offers space for heat dispersion. It provides protection against any short circuit, overheating, or overcharge.
- Another good thing about this power bank is that you can easily identify its power level by looking at the Smart LED battery indicator. There is an indicator for different power levels:
- 1 solid LED for 1% to 25% battery.
- 2 solid LEDs for 26% to 50%.
- 3 solid LEDs for 51% to 75 %.
- 4 solid LEDs for 76% to 100%.
- 32000 mAh battery.
- 3 charging ports.
- Smart LED battery indicators.
- Overcharge protection.
- Lacks fast charging.
- Recharging time is long.
3. Hiluckey Solar Charger 25000 mAh Portable Power Bank
Hiluckey Solar Charger Power Bank can be termed as a perfect outdoor power bank. It is unique in many ways, but one feature that makes it stand out from its other competitors is solar recharging capability. It comes with pretty nice features too.
- The most obvious feature is its massive built-in 25000 mAh highly efficient LI-polymer battery. Such a big battery allows you to charge your smartphone and other devices several times.
- What will happen if the battery of your power bank is fully exhausted before your trip ends? Well, there is nothing to worry about. Here comes the role of its 4 high-performance solar panels. The panels offer up to 1A input when put under direct sunlight, which can efficiently recharge your power bank real quick.
- The power bank gives you the benefit of charging two devices simultaneously. It is equipped with dual USB ports with an output of up to 2.1A sufficient enough to properly charge your smartphones.
- Additionally, the power bank has a built-in 9 LED flashlight that supports the emergency SOS function.
- Compact and portable.
- LED flashlight supporting SOS function.
- 4 solar panels for recharging the power bank.
- 25,000 mAh battery storage.
- Dual USB ports.
- Lacks USB-C port.
4. Jackery Bolt 6000 mAh Outdoors Power Bank
Jackery is a renowned name when it comes to providing outdoor green power solutions. This Jackery Bolt Power Bank is one of the most ideal devices for backpacking as it is compact and lightweight. It has got features that can assist you in making your backpacking or hiking experience even better.
- One thing that I liked the most about this power bank is that it abstains the need for carrying any additional charging hardware with you. It comes with all the accessories that you usually purchase separately with a power bank.
- The product comes with in-built charging cables in the base design. It has got a micro USB and custom lightning cable attachment. Also, the power bank offers an additional micro USB cable to assist you in charging. It even features an extra traditional USB port for more convenience.
- The interesting thing about this power bank is that it provides super-fast charging for all iPhones. The in-built cables are so efficient that it charges iPhones twice as fast as the original iPhone charger.
- The 6000 mAh battery may look like a bit less to you, but it can fully charge your iPhones 1.4 to 2 times depending on the model.
- Safety has also been taken care of using the built-in UL certified battery cell.
- So compact that it can fit in your pocket.
- Integrated charging.
- Can be recharged in just 4 hours.
- Can charge iPhones much faster than their original chargers.
- Small battery capacity.
- In-built cables are too short in comparison to the ones we usually need.
5. FosPower 10,050 mAh Power Bank
For extreme camping or backpacking or emergencies, the FosPower power bank is an ideal choice. It comes with a plethora of features that can help you survive even the most critical circumstances.
- What makes this power bank a perfect portable charger is its rugged high capacity of 10,050 mAh.
- It comes with a dual output of 2.1A. One is the C-type port and the other one is the usual USB port.
- It is a tough power bank that can even withstand rough conditions. There is the use of durable polycarbonate (PC) as well as ABS material in its construction. Such a strong and tough construction makes it drop-proof, dirtproof, snowproof, and also waterproof.
- The power bank offers IP67 certified protection. It is dust as well as water-resistant for up to 3 ft./ 1 m for 30 minutes under the water.
- For additional convenience, there is a carabiner that allows you easy lashing of your power bank. Other than this, to assist on your outdoor excursion, the device even comes with an in-built compass and flashlight.
- Fairly small.
- Leash for conveniently carrying it.
- Tough and rugged design.
- Waterproof, drop-proof, dustproof, and snow proof.
- Average battery capacity.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
Buyer’s Guide- Choosing The Best Power Bank For Backpacking
Selecting the right power bank can be a bit tricky or confusing as you need to consider various factors. So, we have prepared a small guide consisting of the most essential factors that you should keep in your mind while making a selection. The guide will help you pick an ideal power bank for yourself.
The battery capacity of the power bank is the most important factor that you should first put into consideration. But, how much battery capacity of the power bank can be considered good? This entirely depends on your usage as well as the number of devices that you are carrying.
Power bank usually comes with a battery capacity starting from 3000 mAh. The larger the battery capacity, the larger and heavier the power bank is going to get. So we recommend that for a single day backpacking trip, a power bank with a 10,000 mAh battery will work fine. If you are planning a trip for multiple days, then it will be wise if you go for a power bank with more than a 20,000 mAh battery.
Number Of Ports
People usually overlook this factor and consider it less important. But, not paying attention to the number of ports can backfire when you need to charge multiple devices at the same time.
Imagine a situation where you are in the woods and the battery of your smartphone and camera goes down. In such a situation, if you’ll have a single port power bank, then you have to wait for a longer period to recharge both your devices. So, to reduce the wastage of time, a double or triple port power bank will be a better choice.
Types Of Ports
In addition to considering the number of ports, it is also vital to take into account the types of ports. If you are carrying devices like a smartphone or a tablet, then simple USB ports will work for you. Some devices even require a Type-C port.
But, if you are taking devices, like laptop, GPS, or drones, on your trip, then you will need specific ports. In such a case, your power bank should support AC as well as DC power supply.
And in case, you are thinking to carry even more heavy power devices, like a mini cooler or a CPAP machine, then there is a need for a large capacity heavy-duty power bank with specific AC and DC sockets.
This factor is simple and pretty straight forward. There are basically two types of portable chargers you will find in the market. One is the usual charger with normal charging speed and the other one which is equipped with fast charging technology.
If you want your devices to charge faster, then you can select a power bank with a fast charging speed and output rate. Some fast chargers even have the capability to charge your smartphone twice faster than the normal charger. Generally, manufacturers mention the real-time charging speed of the power bank on the packaging. So, it is easy to select the one with the fastest charging speed.
But, do remember, fast-charging power banks cost higher than the normal ones. If both have the same price, then the company will offer less battery capacity with the fast charger. So, select wisely.
Weight And Size
When you are planning to go on a backpacking trip, then the size and weight of the power bank become a vital consideration. It is because we have limited space in our backpack and we don’t want any unnecessary burden in our pack too. So, it is necessary to pack the most essential stuff and shed ounces too.
The good thing is that most of the power banks are compact in size and lightweight. An unnecessarily big power bank will only increase your burden. So, select the one which has a small size, less weight, and still offers adequate power reserve.
As a first thought, a power bank with integrated solar panels seems like a good idea for a backpacking trip. The ability to recharge the power bank with the help of the sun means there is no need to worry about running out of battery.
But if we look at the practical application of it, then how well the solar panel will work is questionable. It is because solar power banks are high-priced and usually takes more than a day to recharge under direct sunlight.
So, before making an investment decision, consider the number of days of your trip and also the need for a solar recharge. For a trip of 1 or 2 days, it doesn’t make sense to carry a solar power bank. But, for a multiple days trip, investing in a solar power bank might not be a bad idea.
If you are someone who goes on backpacking trips frequently, then you should consider investing in a durable power bank. Select a power bank with a tough and sturdy body. It will also be good if you go for a waterproof, dustproof, and wear-resistant power bank. It is better to invest more in a durable charger to save unnecessary future expenses.
Nowadays, a power bank has become an essential part of your backpacking kit. Using it, you can freely use your phone and other electronic devices. You can even take a lot of photos, videos, and collect many memories without worrying about the low battery of your devices. It can also prove to be a piece of useful equipment at the time of a critical situation or emergency.
So, all the power banks on our list are specifically picked up keeping in mind the needs of an outdoor explorer. Out of all of these, we found Anker PowerCore+ as the best power bank for backpacking. It is because this power bank has almost all the necessary features that can assist you in your backpacking expedition. It has a humongous battery of 26800 mAh. It comes with fast charging technology that can increase the charging speed of your devices. You have got 3 charging ports which even includes a USB-C port. The power bank can even be recharged quickly in just 3.5 hours. It is small, portable, and tough. Overall, it is a great choice offering you everything from power-pack performance to compactness.