People who hike often will face pain in their knees at one point of their life. It’s a common issue among older people. But young people can suffer from it too due to a fall, carrying too much weight or even walking a lot. While knee brace cannot solve the problem, it can definitely relive it for you to stay longer on the trail.
If you have been suffering from knee pain for a while we recommend seeing a doctor first.
- Best Knee Brace for Hiking
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Best Knee Brace for Hiking
The following are the top five knee braces that we recommend for hikers.
Shock Maximum Support Knee Brace
This knee brace is a very protective and supportive product by this brand. It has bilateral support hinges. It also has tampered aluminum for maximum support. It gives your knee the support it requires and improves your performance.
When you wear this knee brace, you will feel a lot more confident doing any kind of strenuous activity. You can enjoy hiking to your hearts content without worrying about pain erupting in your leg from your previous injuries or surgeries.
Other reasons to consider this knee brace are that it comes with patella support finish, premium stitching assembly and Lycra binding. It is constructed in a way so that it offers you full time support no matter what you do. It comes with finger tabs that allows you to grip it easily to pull. It proves very convenient when are putting the knee brace on.
This knee brace provides stability and support for your strained muscles, unstable joints and ligament sprains. It is also a very good choice for people who are looking for rehabilitation and recovery of their knee. It comes with dual hinges that stay in place for full support. It has the patented X-Fit straps for maximum security and comfort. Another feature called, N-Tex contributes to its therapeutic warmth and moisture wicking abilities.
It has integrated antimicrobial technology that keeps odor causing bacteria away. In order to end up with the right size of knee brace, measure the area 2-inches below your knee cap. The manufacturer suggests that if you are at the top of the size chart then you should select the next larger size.
- The curve of this knee brace is intentionally designed to match the shape of your leg so that it fits comfortably.
- The bilateral hinges enhance the stability and performance of the knee brace.
- The tampered aluminum further increases the stability.
- It improves your bio-neurological stress awareness.
- The X-Fit strap increases the stability and pressure of the brace.
- It uses vented neoprene for breathability.
- The four lycra mesh backing and hypalon sleeves help support the back of your knee.
- The finger tab make it easy to grip when you are putting it on.
- The front face stitching looks cool and also increases the durability of the product.
- The lycra provides good patella support. It makes sure that the comfort is long lasting.
- It is expensive.
- Many customers complain that the size they ordered is smaller than they anticipated.
PowerLix Knee Compression Sleeve
Hiking is less enjoyable and a pain if you are suffering from knee pain or arthritis. You exert a lot of pressure on your knee when you hike and that can worsen your condition. Getting a knee sleeve would be a good because it reduces your movement and provides support to your knee. This knee brace is a slip-over type.
It is constructed with two silicone gel strips. They make sure that knee straps stay in place once you wear it. It comes in carious color combinations to appeal to your taste. The fabric is 80% nylon and 20% spandex. The fabric is smooth and the design of the sleeve is ergonomic. The double silicone anti-slip wave prevents the sleeve form slipping and provides good grip.
This stylish sleeve provides optimum support and doesn’t restrict your mobility a lot. The material is durable and breathable. It doesn’t get itchy like neoprene. It is also moisture wicking. It doesn’t get smelly, you can wear it for hours without any discomfort. It is available in various sizes, you can address the size chart for a perfect match.
Since it is a pull on type knee brace, it is very easy to put on and take off. The elastic material doesn’t loses its flexibility even after several uses. It retains its shape when you put it back on next time. This knee brace offers stable pressure to your knee joint. It also supports your muscles. You can perform at your peak next time on a hike if you are wearing this knee brace.
- It has long and stylish design.
- It is available in several color combinations.
- It uses four-way stretchable fabric for maximum mobility.
- The fabric is durable and moisture wicking. It keeps your knee dry and free of odor all the time.
- The double silicone gel strips provide good grip on the knee.
- It increases your muscular endurance.
- It is affordable and easily washable.
- It comes with money back guarantee.
- It provides less compression compared to other products.
- People allergic to silicone cannot use it.
Winzone Knee Brace
This knee brace features an open patella design. This type of knee braces work best for support and compression around the kneecap area and tendons. You’d be able to heal your knee injury quickly with it. In addition to that it relieves pain in the knees caused by various conditions.
It also reduces stress during intense activities such as running, hiking and various other exercises. This knee brace comes with special bevel 2 straps that help support your knee and reduce pain. So, people who underwent surgery and others who just want to ease the slight pain they feel in their knee can both use it.
This knee brace is suitable for both men and women. You can wear it on either one of your legs, left or right. The straps of this brace are adjustable and attached to velcro. It doesn’t slip off. It is very comfortable and doesn’t restrict your movement. It isn’t very bulky, so you can wear it under your pants as well. It is made with high quality material and tested against standards.
It is made with neoprene so it is very durable. It is also waterproof so your knee would be dry all the time. It is easy to use and also very easy to clean. You can wash with hands or on the machine. If in case you are not satisfied with the product the brand offers unlimited lifetime money back warranty.
- It is made form 100% neoprene so it is very strong and durable.
- The straps on it are adjustable for custom fit.
- It is machine washable and easy to clean.
- The open patella design allows free movement.
- It is waterproof, so it keeps your knee dry.
- It is non-slip and offers comfortable grip on your leg.
- It is made with premium material and has a non-bulky design.
- It is backed by lifetime money back guarantee.
- It doesn’t have bilateral hinges. They increase the level of support and compression.
- It comes in only one color.
Sable Knee Brace
If you don’t want your movements to be restricted by a knee brace but would still like to have some kind of support then this knee brace is for you. It has a slip-on design. It provides your knee ample support and coverage. You can wear it at home for your knee recovery or during sports activities such as basketball, running or even hiking.
It fits snuggly around your knee joint but relaxes above and below it. The pressure that the brace offers distributes evenly this way. It uses the same principle as a back brace. It relieves the pressure on your knee while you enjoy your trail.
This knee sleeve is made of a combination of spandex and nylon. It has FDA approved design. It is anti-slip so it won’t come off when you are engaged in any kind of physical activity. When you wear the spiral elastic woven design it will help relax all of the surrounding muscles. It is durable but also very breathable. Your leg will be sweat free throughout the time you have it on.
It is stretchable so you don’t need a specific size of the brace to fit your knee. But still it comes in three sizes. It also comes in two color combinations. It comes is a pair of two at an affordable price. It is also easy to clean. You can wash it clean in cold water and then air dry it.
- It is flexible and fits snuggly around your knees.
- It suitable for recovery form injuries and also for wearing during strenuous activities.
- It comes in 3 sizes and two color combinations.
- It has anti-slip design.
- It is affordable and also comes in pair.
- It covers wide area of your knee for even distribution of pressure.
- It is made of durable, flexible and breathable fabric.
- It needs to be washed with hands.
- It may cause skin irritation of worn for long hours.
Bracoo Knee Support
This knee brace is made from high quality material. It provides your knee ultimate support and comfort. It is suitable for men and women of all ages. This knee brace is made from neoprene, which is very durable and resistant to water. The neoprene used in this knee brace is thick and dense. It cushions your knee joint for maximum protection.
This knee brace has fully customizable straps. They overlap and comfortably wrap around your knee for stability during flex. The straps reduce the pressure experienced by your knee. It protects your knee from injuries and discomfort during various kinds of activities. The strap has a minimal shine bone pad and exchangeable hinge padding sizes.
If you feel pain or discomfort in your knee then it is best kept dry. It is waterproof so your knee will be dry all the time. This knee brace has bilateral knee hinges, which make it very stable and strong. It is also very comfortable to wear. The open patella design further adds to the comfort it offers. You can wear it for long hours. It reduces pressure on your knee and prevents displacement.
This knee brace comes in three colors, which are pink, black and gray. It is adjustable so it comes in one size only. It is also easy to clean. The manufacturer instructs to hand wash it with cold water.
- The open patella design helps relieve pain and stress on and around the knee joint.
- The straps are fully customizable and can be attached anywhere on the knee brace.
- The fabric is breathable, durable and waterproof.
- It is suitable for recovery from injuries, surgeries and for wearing during strenuous activities.
- It is very easy to clean.
- It comes in three different colors.
- The reinforced stabilizer rings keeps your knee cap in its place.
- The straps need readjustment from time to time.
- It only comes in one universal size.
Looking for more hiking gear? Check out these articles
- Backpacking power pack
- Underwear for men
- Backpack for kids
- Portable water filter
- Lightweight hiking shirt
- Hiking boots for overpronation
- Walkie talkies
- Hiking boots for wide feet
- Budget backpacks
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Is A Hiker’s Knee?
Hiker’s knee is when a person who hikes experiences dull pain around or behind their knee cap. Many things could be the cause of that pain. But this pain is stimulated or worsened by walking up or down inclined spaces, squatting, kneeling and walking long distances more than often. This is everything that a person does while hiking.
Who Needs A Knee Brace?
It is for everyone who want relief from the pain in knees and wants to recover quickly. It is not a solution in itself, it is just for helping you to get through the pain. People with the following conditions may consider using knee brace:
- ACL sprain
- Patellar tendonitis
- Dislocated patella
- Chondromalacia patellae
- Patellofemoral stress syndrome
Even if you don’t have the above mentioned conditions and just have been an accident and injured your knee or had surgery in any part of your leg or foot. Using a knee brace will be beneficial for you. Because it is usually the knee that picks up the slack. It often leads to pain.
While knee braces are beneficial, there are also other ways of combating the terrible pain in the knees. Check this YouTube video out for some more interesting information.
Look After Your Knee on A Trail
Like your hiking gear, your body also experiences wear and tear. And in the same way, if you treat your body better it will last longer and work better. The following are few tips that you should keep in mind for long and pain free hiking journey:
- Start walks a few days before you leave for hiking. Gradually increase the distance and get your legs and body ready.
- Don’t carry a lot of weight. Be frugal. Carrying less and distributing it evenly helps a lot.
- Wear hiking boots. Buy boots that have good cushioning. It will reduce the shock your knees face from each footfall.
- Don’t run when you are going downhill.
- Use hiking poles. They will reduce the strain your knees undergo.
- Support your knees from the start. Don’t wait for the pain to start or get intense. Prevent injuries from happening by taking action beforehand.
What Are the Different Types of Knee Braces?
Knee braces are designed for varying degree support. The amount of support that you need depends on whether you just experience slight discomfort or mild pain, or if you are recovering from an injury or surgery.
Straps or sleeves are knee braces that give you light support. These knee braces are recommended for people with tendonitis, chondromalacia patella and patella femoral stress syndrome.
Knee braces with lots of strapping and articulated hinges provide moderate support. Some of the braces may even include patella control rings, or motion control structures to prevent hyperextension. They still allow you to move a bit. They are recommended for people who are recovering from minor injuries.
This prevents your knee from any kid of movement. It provides your knee total support. It is mostly used after surgeries where no movement of the knee is allowed. If you require one of these then you should not be on a hike.
What Styles and Designs Are There?
Most knee braces come in the form of a wraparound or slip-on style. The knee brace with slip-on design pulls on over your foot and can be slid up to snuggly fit your knee. These are very comfortable and suitable if you want more mobility and moderate level support.
However, they are not adjustable so you must get your size right or you’ll be in a pickle. Also with these knee braces you have to take off your shoes in order to take them off. The wraparound style knee braces are adjustable as they have braces and straps. They are bulky but you don’t have to worry about getting the right size.
Knee braces mainly come in the following five designs:
- Support – Mostly have a wraparound design. They cover the top and bottom of the knee. They are also adjustable.
- Stabilizer – They have steel springs on both sides in order to give you full support.
- Sleeves – They can be slipped on over the leg. They are not adjustable.
- Strap – They just wrap below your knee.
- Hinged – They have hinges and offer high level support. They also let you be more mobile.
What Material Should You Go For?
It is important to choose a knee brace with the right material. They contribute to its durability and comfort. If you are buying a knee brace with Velcro, straps, hinges or clips, make sure that they are made form good quality material as well.
The material should be breathable, especially in case of sleeve style knee brace. A closed design will make you sweat pretty easily. Not only will you smell funny but there is also a chance of chaffing. Knee braces are often made of elastic material such as neoprene. But it should be more than just elastic for it to support your knee. In order to choose the right material you must know for what purpose you want the knee brace.
How Do You Choose the Right Size?
It is important to get the knee brace of right size. If it is too tight it will cause more harm than good. If it’s too loose, it will not fulfill the purpose you bought it for. There are knee braces in various sizes. You might even come across a size table that shows knee braces for different knee sizes. If you have seen a doctor about it, he/she might recommend you a specific size.
You should measure the area below your knee cap and see that the knee brace fits completely. Also bend your knee to full extent, it should not restrict your range of motion a lot. Try walking up steps with it and see if it prevents your leg from inclined walk.
Some people recommend seeing how may fingers you can slip between the knee brace and your leg. If you can get three fingers then it’s too loose. On the other hand, if you can’t get two fingers in then it is too tight.
How Do You Care for Your Knee Brace?
Regularly check your knee brace for signs of wear and tear. Wash it as instructed by the manufacturer. That will keep it clean, in good shape and odor free. If there are no instruction then we recommend washing it with cold water and detergent gently. Dry it completely before storing it. If your knee brace has hinges or articulated areas, check to see if there is grime build-up. If there is, clean it with the help of q-tips.
Knees are very important and very fragile joints of our body. Hikers especially need to pay special attention to their knees. Once they start hurting, it will only get worse. That is why it is better to start taking care of them before that happens. We have enlisted top 5 knee braces here that we think are suitable for hikers.
Our top recommendation is PowerLix Knee Compression Sleeve. It is stretchable, comfortable and very durable. It supports your knee without restricting your movements. It fits snuggly around your knee joint but is also breathable. It is also very easy to clean and is backed by amazing guarantee.
Backpacking Water Filters for 2021
If you are in a hurry and want to find out what the best backpacking water filter is, we recommend the Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter System.
The Best Rechargeable Camping Lanterns
If you are in a hurry and want to find out what best rechargeable camping lantern is, we recommend the AYL Starlight as the best one.
The Best Hiking Boots for Wide Feet
If you are in a hurry and want to find out what best hiking boot for wide feet is, we recommend the Men's X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Hiking Boots.
The Best Hiking Backpacks For Kids
If you are in a hurry and want to find out what the best hiking backpack for kids is, we recommend the Deuter Kids Fox 40 Hiking Backpack.
The Best Power Bank For Backpacking
If you are in a hurry and want to find out what the best power bank for backpacking is, we recommend the Anker PowerCore+ power bank.