Are you one of those people who love going on backpacking trips in the wilderness? Well, then you must be knowing how important it is to have a sustainable shelter for protection against challenging weather and potential hazards. All the campers don’t possess the skills to build makeshift shelters. So, nowadays various survival tents are available to support modern backpackers.
As there is a wide assortment of survival tents, it is natural that you can get confused while picking the right one. Hence, to help you out, we have come up with a list of best survival tents that are currently available in the market. Additionally, to help you pick your ideal tent, we have even come up with a buyer’s guide for you. So, let’s start.
- Best Survival Tents
- SERGEANT Emergency Survival Tent
- Don’t Die In The Woods Survival Tent
- Russian Bear Winter Tent With Stove
- Delmera Emergency Survival Tube Tent
- SE Emergency Outdoor Tube Tent
- Marmot Limelight 2 Person Survival Camping Tent
- Snugpak The Ionosphere 1 Person Dome Tent
- Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Canvas Tent Deluxe
- GEERTOP 2 Person 4 Season Backpacking Tent
- MOON LENCE Camping Tent
- Buyer’s Guide
- Final Words
Best Survival Tents
SERGEANT Emergency Survival Tent
Best Emergency Survival Tent
SERGEANT Emergency Survival Tent is one of the most budget-friendly emergency tents available out there. But, just because it is cheap, doesn’t mean it is not worth it. So, let us find out what this tent has got.
- This tent is a rough and tough product as the manufacturers make the use of extra-thick 26-micron mylar material for its construction. This NASA-designed material makes the tent tear and puncture-resistant.
- It is a 2 person tent weighing just 8.6 ounces. It is small enough that it can easily fit in your palm making it perfect for a backpacking trip. For carrying it around, the company offers it in a durable nylon pouch.
- The manufacturers have constructed the tent keeping in mind protection against challenging weather conditions. Hence, it is a waterproof and windproof tent that comes with a reflective interior. This interior traps 90% of the body heat reducing the chances of hypothermia.
- It can even function as an emergency blanket, ground cover, rain tarp, sunshade, emergency bivy sack, or distress beacon.
All these features make this SERGEANT tent a suitable emergency tent. For 100% customer satisfaction, the company guarantees against the product’s defects for its whole life.
- Durable mylar material.
- Waterproof and windproof.
- Reflective interior to trap 90% of body heat.
- Some customers faced issues in pitching this tent.
- Few users found the material very thin.
Don’t Die In The Woods Survival Tent
Best Lightweight Survival Tent
As the name of the tent suggests, the makers don’t want you to die in the woods. So, let us see whether this tent does what its name says:
- It is a tent whose design is such to support you in most of the outdoor activities like hiking, camping, trekking, etc. In an emergency situation, you can even use this tent as a sleeping bag, bivy sack, or space blanket.
- What makes this 2 person tent durable and strong is the NASA-designed tear-resistant, extra-thick HeatFlex mylar. This material traps 90% of the body heat for protection against wet, warm, and cold weather conditions.
- The use of 425-lb strength paracord along with reinforced tape seams makes it a true tube survival tent.
- What’s even more amazing is that it is ultralight and compact weighing just 8.5 oz.
- It is easy to set up too.
It is one of the toughest and lightweight survival tent that you can rely upon.
- Easy to set up.
- Protection against warm, wet, and cold weather using reflective interior.
- Ultralight in weight.
- Comes with reinforced tape seams.
- Suitable for outdoor adventures.
- Paracord can be ripped out in the heavy wind
Russian Bear Winter Tent With Stove
Best Winter Survival Tent
If you are looking for a survival tent that can keep you warm in extremely cold conditions, then Russian Bear Winter Tent With Stove is for you.
- This dome-shaped tent is a good option for outdoor enthusiasts. You can easily pop up this tent in a cold climate and it can comfortably accommodate 5 people.
- The most attractive thing about this tent is its warm wood stove. This stove will protect you from getting cold and you can even cook on it.
- The heat-insulated 3 layer floor protects you in extremely low temperature.
- The tent is a two-layer structure that prevents condensation and is waterproof too. During summers, you can simply remove the inner awning to enjoy the weather.
- There is the use of aviation aluminum and steel in the tent’s frame which makes it sturdy.
- Safety is also taken care of for preventing any fire accidents. There is the use of removable heat-resistant fabric that can withstand a temperature up to 1200 degrees. Additionally, the stainless steel chimney ring prevents the hot pipe of the stove to touch the tent material.
All in all, this survival tent can be of great use in extremely low temperature and can even be used in summer weather by removing the awning.
- Comes with a stove to keep you warm.
- Large tent that can fit in 5 people.
- Two-layer tent which is waterproof and prevents condensation.
- Stainless steel chimney ring to prevent fire accidents.
- Heat-insulated 3 layer floor.
- A bit expensive.
Delmera Emergency Survival Tube Tent
Best Survival Tube Tent
When it comes to emergency tents, comfort is least of your worries and protection against harsh conditions is a priority. So, while this Delmera tent ranks low in comfort, but has got a high rating as an emergency survival tube tent.
- This tent is originally designed by NASA for the purpose of space exploration. Hence, this insulating 26um extra-thick mylar tent can protect you in all the weather conditions by making use of reflecting back. This reflective back helps in retaining 90% of body heat which protects from hypothermia.
- The bright orange color of the tent helps the rescue team to locate you easily.
- You can even use this tent as an emergency blanket or bivy sack.
- It provides incredible protection against wind, rain, and snow using the heavy-duty aluminized PE interior material.
- It is a lightweight tent weighing around 4.6 oz. It is compact too as you can roll it up inside the accompanied nylon carry bag making it small enough to fit in your palm.
This emergency survival tube tent serves well protecting you from most of the harsh weather conditions.
- Light in weight and compact.
- Insulated mylar material to retain body heat.
- Resists rain, snow, and wind.
- Tear-resistant and flexible.
- Condensation build-up issue.
SE Emergency Outdoor Tube Tent
Best Outdoor Survival Tent
SE is a renowned name because of its quality products that are available at a sensible cost. This outdoor tube tent of SE is all about quality, capacity, and helpfulness during emergency outdoor situations.
- It is a nice tent that one can work as a shelter during your boating, camping, fishing, hiking, hunting, and other outdoor adventurous trips.
- This tent comes with 9-inch zinc plated carbon steel tent pegs which add to the strength of the tent.
- This orange-colored reusable tent can help the rescuers to locate you from far away.
- There is the use of non-woven material in its construction. It comes with an aluminum coated interior that insulates body heat for providing warmth.
- The material is waterproof and tear-resistant.
When it comes to outdoor survival, this tent by SE can work wonders.
- Aluminum coated interior for heat insulation.
- Comes with steel pegs.
- Condensation build-up issue.
- Material is paper-thin.
Marmot Limelight 2 Person Survival Camping Tent
Best 2 Person Survival Tent
Are you looking for a survival tent that is spacious enough to accommodate 2 people comfortably? Well, Marmot Limelight 2 person camping tent is the one that can fulfil your need.
- The tent offers a sufficient amount of space to fit in 2 people. It is a spacious tent that offers nearly vertical walls that result in extra space and necessary headroom too.
- It is an igloo-style tent that has got 2 D-shaped entrances. It helps the camper to get in and out of the tent without disturbing his companion.
- For proper ventilation, there is no-see-um mesh on the upper side of the tent. It also protects from any vermin.
- This tent performs really well when it comes to weather protection. The tent is highly water repellant and comes with band-welded seams along with raised floor. This means there are very little chances that water can seep inside the tent. The tent is wind-resistant and UV resistant too. All these features together make this tent an efficient 3-season tent.
- Assembling this tent is quite easy, thanks to the color-coded poles.
Overall, this tent does its job pretty well without getting too fancy. It will long-lasting tent that can keep you protected against any outside elements.
- Spacious tent.
- 2 entrances.
- Sufficient ventilation through no-see-um mesh.
- Water-repellant, wind-resistant, and UV resistant.
- Easy to assemble.
- Not ideal for heavy rainfall.
Snugpak The Ionosphere 1 Person Dome Tent
Best 1 Person Survival Tent
This Snugpak tent is a good option for those who want a nice spacious 1 person tent that has sufficient room for the gear too. The tent comes with a sleek and long design which helps it to withstand strong winds. It also has features like:
- It is a lightweight tent which weighs only 3.34 pounds. The DAC Featherlite NSL anodized aluminum poles are what makes this structure light in weight and sturdy too.
- For a warmer climate, the company includes a no-see-um mosquito net that allows proper airflow.
- The flysheet of the tent is 210t polyester RipStop. Additionally, it comes with a coating of 5000mm waterproof as well as windproof polyurethane.
- Usually, many tents suffer from the issue of condensation build-up inside the tent. Well, this is not the case with this tent as its 2 pole system keeps the condensation to a minimum.
- Another good thing about this tent is that it comes with a basic repair kit. It can help you to patch up the tent during any wear and tear.
It is a nice 3-season tent that can handle challenging weather conditions pretty well.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Sufficient space to fit in 1 person along with his gear.
- Waterproof and windproof.
- Properly ventilated.
- Comes with a repair kit.
- Some customer faced issues with the zipper.
- Small gauge shock cords.
- Single stitch material seems very thin.
Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Canvas Tent Deluxe
Best 4 Person Survival Tent
The reason that I like this tent is that it is a large tent to fit in 4 people and is super easy to set up just by one person only. The tent comes with a whole lot of essential features that can help you survive in extreme conditions:
- The manufacturers make use of Hydra-Shield to construct this tent. There is the use of 100% cotton duck canvas. This makes the tent durable, waterproof, and breathable too.
- Tall people will not bump their head to the ceiling as this tent comes with a height of 6’1”. This means you have enough headroom to walk around.
- The 2 large D-shaped doors at front and back add to the convenience level.
- For enough breathability and airflow, there are 4 large windows that come with no-see-um mesh.
- The tent is sturdy and easy to set up as the tent comes with Flex-Bow frame.
- It has got a front awning too.
If you don’t want a fancy tent, and just require a product that can serve you well as a survival shelter, then this tent can serve you for many years.
- Spacious with plenty of headroom space.
- Hydra-Shield construction.
- Use of 100% cotton duck canvas for waterproofing and durability.
- 2 doors, one in front and one at back.
- 4 windows with no-see-um mesh.
- Flex-bow frame adds to the sturdiness of the tent.
- Easy to setup.
- Comes with a front awning.
- The flooring could have been much better.
GEERTOP 2 Person 4 Season Backpacking Tent
Best Survival Backpacking Tent
If you are in the search of a reliable tent for your backpacking trip then this GEERTOP tent is the one for you. It has got some amazing features which make it an ideal choice as a backpacking survival tent:
- It is a 4 season tent which is fully rainproof and highly durable. This means that you can douse this tent with water and not a little drop of water will seep inside the tent. The PU 3000mm water-resistant finish enables it to withstand rain and snow.
- The use of rugged 210T anti-tear checkered polyester is what makes this tent resistant to wear as well as abrasions.
- The tent is UV-resistant too.
- For providing excellent weather protection as well as for proper ventilation, the tent features 2 layers. When you are camping during warmer weather, you can simply use the inner layer that will allow sufficient airflow. In case of heavy wind and extreme weather, just add the outer layer for protection. This 2 layer feature makes this tent versatile and suitable for 4 season use.
- The tent even comes double-stitched seams for additional protection against rain.
- Its lightweight design, weighing just 6.4 lbs, makes this tent perfect for a backpacking trip.
This tent has got all the necessary features that can support you in every weather condition. So, if you want a shelter for your backpacking trip, then this is the one.
- Rainproof and durable.
- Features 2 layers which make the tent versatile.
- Suitable for 4 seasons.
- Issues with the zipper.
- Condensation issues.
MOON LENCE Camping Tent
Best Survival Tent Under 100
The MOON LENCE camping tent’s smart and simple design is what makes it a tactical tent for an emergency survival situation. So let’s learn more about it:
- It is a 100% polyester tent that is available in different size variants to accommodate 2, 4, or 6 people.
- Its 2 person variant weights just 2.7 kg which makes it easier to carry it around.
- It provides all-round protection using the 190T PU material. This material enables it to provide 100mm water resistance along with excellent UV protection.
- It also comes with a rainfly for additional protection. Not only this, the tent features a double-layer which makes it stronger to withstand harsh weather conditions.
- Breathability is also taken care of by a large section of mesh along with a ground vent and 2 windows.
- There is a D-shaped door which comes with dual zippers.
- The tent is easy to set up using the 2 shock cord connecting poles with clips.
- The 9 iron pegs and 4 guy ropes help the tent to stand against the wind.
All in all, it is an excellent survival shelter which is easy to set up and can withstand harsh weather conditions:
- Easy to setup.
- Wind-resistant, water-resistant, and UV-resistant.
- Comes with a rainfly.
- Double-layer design for additional protection.
- Excellent ventilation through large mesh section, ground vents, and 2 windows.
- The floor is thin.
- Strings need to be more durable.
- Seams need to be tightly taped.
Looking for more tents? Check out these articles
- 4 person
- For warmer weather
- For Bike touring
- Heavy rains
- Best for High winds
- For tall people
- Dome tent
- Instant tent
- For ten people
- For eight people
- Canvas tent
- Essential Boy scouts
- For Appalachian trail
How To Choose The Best Survival Tent
Now, we have gone through the list of best survival tent. By seeing a variety of tents, there are chances that you may get confused in choosing the right tent for you. So, before making a decision, you must consider the following factors and make your choice accordingly:
1. Material And Durability
The Tent’s fabric also plays an important role as a tent’s durability depends on it. You will generally find three types of tent fabrics which are Mylar, Nylon, and Polyester.
All these material are durable. However, in comparison to nylon and polyester, mylar is not that durable. But still, most of the survival tent manufacturing companies makes use of mylar. It is because, generally, the basic purpose of a survival tent is to keep you warm and protect you from extreme weather in an emergency. In such circumstances, you need a tent that is light in weight too. So, mylar is the perfect fabric for that as it is lightweight and provides warmth to the body too by retaining the body heat.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a tent that you can use extensively in the wilderness then choosing fabrics like nylon or polyester will be a good choice. It is because, in such a situation, you will need a tent that can withstand much wear and tear and last longer.
Weight is another important factor that you must always take into consideration. Many young survivalists don’t think much about this factor. It is right that it does not have much impact on the usability of the tent, but it surely affects your ability to pack and carry it around.
When you are going for an adventurous trip, you would want to carry as many pieces of essential gears as possible. For that, you will have to make room in your backpack for each survival gear. You will obviously don’t want to burden yourself with a heavy backpack. So, if your tent will be light and compact, then you will have much room for other gears. It will also make things easier for you in the long run.
3. Ease Of Setup
Imagine that you are stuck in an emergency situation. In such a situation, you would not want to fumble around with a tent which is difficult to set up. To survive in a bad situation, you need a quick shelter so that you can conserve your body heat and protect yourself. Once you take shelter, you can then work on your next plan of survival.
This is the reason that most of the survival tents take just a few minutes to set up. Usually, these tents come with a few clips and ropes that allow you to set up the tent quickly. You can even construct a mylar tent using just a simple bivvy.
4. Shape and Type
The shape of the tent you choose mainly depends upon where you are going. Suppose, you are going in an area with high wind, then it would be wise to carry a dome shape tent instead of a traditional teepee tent. So, you need to understand the different types of survival tents to pick the correct tent according to the situation:
a. Backpacking And Hiking Tents
The backpacking tents are the ones that you can easily carry in your backpack along with other essential gears. So, for a backpacking and hiking adventure, those tents are ideal which are extremely light in weight so that you can easily carry it around. Additionally, the tent should be the one that you can easily set up on high terrain. The backpacking and hiking tents are a good choice for bug out or INCH bags. It is because these tents won’t take much space and won’t make your bag heavy.
b. 4-Season Tent
A 4-season tent is the one that you can use at any time of the year. Most of the tents usually support you in 3 seasons. But, a 4 season tent requires some extra engineering. It is because the 3 season tents can’t handle extreme cold conditions, but a 4-season tent can. This is why 4 season tents are more expensive than normal tents. These tents are capable enough to wick away moisture, provide protection against rain, cold, snow, and wind, and provides insulation too.
There are different styles of tents available in the market these days. Each tent has a unique shape which proves to be useful in certain situations.
When we talk about teepee style, then it is that tent which comes in your mind first when you imagine about a tent. In short, it is the classic style traditional tent that has been around forever. It is a simple style tent which is easy to set up, can keep you dry, and has a sound structure. It is the simplicity and soundness of this design only that this style of tent is still often used as a survival tent.
These days, dome-style tents are in trend as it is suitable for most of the expedition situations. The positive thing about this tent is that its design offers the user extra space inside the structure. It allows the user to make use of the maximum capacity of the tent in terms of extra gear or people.
Another advantage of using this tent is that it is wind-resistant. The top of the tent is round-shaped which allows the wind to pass without putting much pressure on the tent.
Bivvies are the most simplistic design tents you’ll ever encounter. It is a tent that is not for long term use and is suitable for an emergency situation only. It is for a situation where comfort and space are secondary factors in comparison to warmth and protection. A bivvy is more like a body sack that can keep you warm and protect you against the outside elements for a night or so.
Number of Campers
If you are a lone wolf, then there is no need to carry a tent with multiple people occupancy. Just pick a simple one-person emergency survival tent, and you are good to go.
But if you are going on an expedition with a group then you have to make an informed decision. Suppose you are a group of four. In such a case, it would be wise to carry 2 tents that can hold 2 people each rather than carrying 4 individual tents with one person occupancy. It is because two 2 person tents occupy less space than four 1 person tents.
A tent which can give your protection against rain is one of the core factors of a survival tent. No matter where you live, a waterproof tent with tightly sealed-seams is essential. It is because staying dry is the basic principle of survival. So, always choose a waterproof tent which doesn’t allow even a drop of water to seep inside the tent.
We have put this factor in the last because we don’t want to consider buying a crucial gear of survival based on the cost factor alone. However, budget is a vital factor for most of the people. This is why we have put in our list most reasonably priced tents that have got almost all the essential features of survival.
When you are going for an adventurous trip, owning a survival tent is essential. So, we picked up the best survival tents available for you. Just go through our buyer’s guide and make an informed decision while choosing a survival tent for you.
All the tents on our list have their pros and cons. Each one of them has a unique quality. But, according to us, a good survival tent is the one that has got all the basic needs covered. So, we pick Don’t Die In The Woods Survival Tent as the Best Survival Tent. It is because this tent is ultralight in weight, is made of tough mylar material, easy to set up, and can protect you from cold, hot, and wet weather. Not only this, you can even use it as a sleeping bag, bivy sack, or a space blanket. Its reinforced taped seams also provide additional protection. These are all the basic things that a survival tent must possess which makes this tent a suitable emergency tent.
The Best Canvas Tents of 2021
If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best canvas tent is, then we recommend the Playdo Waterproof Cotton Canvas Tent.
The Best Tents for Boy Scouts of 2021
If you are in a hurry and want to find out what the best tent for boy scout is, we recommend the Coleman Sundome Two-Person Tent.
The Top Survival Backpacks of 2021
If you are in a hurry and want to find out what the best survival backpack is, we recommend the 5.11 Tactical RUSH24 Military Backpack.
The Best Tent for Appalachian Trail
If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best tent for Appalachain Trail is, we recommend the Big Agnes Copper Spur tent.
Top Tent for Bike Touring
If you are in a hurry and want to find out what the best tent for bike touring is, we recommend the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL Tent.